1. Wedding stress is a totally different kind of stress - none like any other. For me, it didn’t hit until the 3 months left countdown. All of a sudden I have this weird feeling in my gut – anxious? worried? paranoid? S-T-R-E-S-S. I just want this day to be perfect for the BOTH of us. I know in the end the little things aren’t going to matter, and for the most part I haven’t really been too finicky about the little things, but the stuff that has been stressing me out are faaaaar from little. We’re not talking little rivets in the road people, we’re talking MASSIVE craters. Which leads me to number two….
2. No matter how prepared (you think) you are, something WILL go wrong. If nothing goes wrong and everything turns out perfect, without any glitches, everything is rainbows and unicorns… there’s seriously something wrong with you. And I want to know your secret……
Honestly though, there will more than likely be something that will completely throw you for a loop. In my case? My best friend of 20 years – my Maid of Honour – the girl that used to spend hours with me as little girls planning our weddings – isn’t able to come. It’s heartbreaking. Not because now I am hustling last minute to find a replacement, but because I want her there with me. I NEED her there. To keep me sane.
3. Everyone has an opinion. It’s almost like when people have babies – everyone always have their nose in your business. “You should do this, or you should do that”. For the most part our families haven't been overbearing or anything, but it seems to be the "randoms" that always have something to say...
4. There will be a family member or two that you have always swore up and down that you would never invite to your wedding… well turns out you have just been blowing smoke up your ass all these years. Is it worth the drama? No. Just save face and invite them. It’s not worth the hassle. No matter how much you do not get along. Trust me.
5. Lists. They are endless. And they will be your best friend. The only thing that will keep you sane through this crazy process.
6. You might as well start growing a money tree now cause you’ll need it.
7. Around the halfway point, you are going to start wondering why in the hell you didn’t do a destination wedding. Then you are going to be envious of those who thought of this brilliant idea. No stress involved! You just show up! Effing BRILLIANT!!!
8. Picking out bridesmaid dresses are 324654x more stressful than picking out your own wedding dress. I still don’t understand how this happens.
9. The last 2-3 weeks leading up to your wedding day are the longest weeks of your entire life.
I feel like a slug.
10. And finally, if you and your soon to be husband can get through the planning process and still like each other, you are heading in the right direction my friend.